The University of Alabama
Nihongo Web: Online Japanese Subscription Agreement

This subscription agreement is between the Modern Languages and Classics department at The University of Alabama and the subscriber. The subscriber agrees to adhere to UA policies and regulations as outlined in this agreement. Failure to do so may result in the cancellation of this subscription agreement. All courses are copyrighted by The Board of Trustees of The University of Alabama.

Nihongo Man the Grammar Avenger


 Technical Requirements for all students
Students enrolled in Nihongo Web must have regular access to a computer (at school or home) with an Internet connection and multimedia (audio and video) player. Students must also have access to Skype with voice chat (web camera optional) for weekly private tutoring. Students must have access to their individual crimson e-mail accounts (assigned by UA) in order to interact with the instructor and tutors. Types of files used in the course include those associated with running Blackboard Learn, PDF files, MP3 audio files, YouTube Video and PowerPoint (viewing only). JA 101 students do not have to be able to type in Japanese, but this is highly encouraged. JA 102 and above students must have the capability to type in Japanese font.

 Japanese 101, 102, 201, and 202 for High School Students wishing to receive College Credit
If you are at least a Spring Term sophomore or later in high school with at least a 3.0 GPA, you may be eligible to
enroll in The Univeristy of Alabama's Early College Program. You will need to go through a preliminary Gateway session on taking online courses, and then you can enroll just like a college student. You will have to finish your course within the UA college term, which lasts 15 weeks. The Fall Term is mid-August through early December, and the Spring Term is mid-January through early May. There is no Summer Term available for online Japanese, but we sometimes offer classroom Japanese.

 Japanese 101, 102, 201, and 202 for College Credit
The University of Alabama offers the same Japanese curriculum online as in the classroom (your instructor, Laurie Arizumi, teaches both in the classroom and online) so you can go from the classroom to online with no break in the learning process. If you need transfer credit, or can't come to the UA campus, you can enroll in JA 101-901 (4 credit hours), or JA 102-901 (4 credit hours), or JA 201 (3 credit hours) or JA 202-901 (3 credit hours) and study anytime, anywhere (as long as you keep up and finish by the end of the term)! These classes, like all the online Japanese classes, involve private tutoring over Skype, so you can set your own schedule for completing the live tutoring sessions and tests. You will need a local proctor for taking written tests. You will enroll through the University of Alabama like any other UA college student. DO NOT ENROLL IN ANY OTHER SECTION EXCEPT 901 or you will be enrolling in the on-campus classroom course.

Non-UA students wishing to enroll in these courses for college credit must first apply to the University of Alabama for admission as a distance learner. To apply for admission, click and once you have created a user account, select 'Distance Programs' (see screenshot). Then select 'Distance Programs Non-Degree Application' (see screenshot) to apply. Once you have been officially admitted to UA you are now ready to select an online course and enroll. All enrollments for UA credit courses are processed online through The mybama site gives instructions on how to enroll and instructions on fee payment. Tuition rates can be found on the UA web site at

The University of Alabama is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, GA 30033-4097; telephone 404-679-4501) to award bachelor's, master's, educational specialist, and doctoral degrees. In addition, selected graduate programs have been accredited by the American Assembly of Collegiate Schools of Business, American Bar Association, American Library Association, American Psychological Association, American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, Association of Research Libraries, Council on Social Work Education, National Association of School Psychologists, National Association of Schools of Art and Design, National Association of Schools of Music, National Association of Schools of Theatre, Council on Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs, Council on Rehabilitation Education, and National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education.